Friday, July 15, 2011

July 15, 2011

I don't know why my other blog did not post. I'll try again. It has been a busy summer. I went to Lex and Erika to help when Naomi was born. I loved my time there. Desea, Jazzy, and Cici are very busy. The food and the company were great. I got to know Ciela and renew love with Desea and Jazzy. I learned a lot from them. They are adorable. After I came home it was past time to kill and dress out the Cornish X Rock chickens. It is done and they are in the freezer until it gets cooler and I can can them.
It is blazing hot. Mike has taken care of the animals most of the time as it is too hot for me. We redid our room. Mike was sawing wood for our bed frame and I decided to help him by taking care of the animals for the evening. The rabbits received water and food. I checked the water and food for the chickens and turkeys. Then I closed up the chicken houses. One little hen was not cooperating. I closed the door while I tried too shoo her into the roosting house. After she went in. I pushed the door to go back out. Imagine how I felt when it wouldn't budge. The latch fell into the lock when I had pulled the door shut. I didn't want to break the door if I didn't have to, so I started Yelling for Mike. You guessed it. I did not have my cell phone with me. Luckily he heard me in 5 minutes time and rescued me. He made a comment about all the old hens being locked up and I reminded him what happens to a lot of roosters around here. Another great day in chicken ranching!

Friday, July 8, 2011

July 15, 2011

Wednesday evening was interesting. Mike was working on our room so I decided to take care of the animals so that he wouldn't have to later. (I don't do well in the heat.) I took care of the rabbits and played with them. I locked up Eddie's chickens and went to our chicken yard. The turkeys decided to roost with the chickens. I had one black chicken out in the yard and the rest in the chicken house. I finally chased her into the setting part and shut the door. I chased her into the roost and closed that door. I tried to open the door to the outside and found myself looked. I, of course, did not have my phone. I yelled until Mike could hear me. He was outside sawing wood for our bed frame. Luckily, he heard me. I could have been there for quite a while. It was hilarious!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What's New?

It is hot. We have been very busy. We have new baby rabbits. We have a beautiful female turkey named Tinkerbell. We have two baby turkeys in the brooder. We have 6 turkey eggs in the incubator. We are excited about Spring. Papaw is building a turkkey house. Eddie has built rabbit hutches. Life is new. I have painted wood and planned and planted in the garden. Papaw has planted most oof the garden. Eddie planted his garden. Plants are growing. There is still lots more to do.
Mike and I legal Texans: We have our drivers license to prove it. I am looking for a job to help pay bills. My Visiting Teaching companion has changed and so has my rooute. It will be fun to meet more people. I am slow remembering names and need all the help I can get. Tomorrow is a new day with new challenges and it will be an adventure!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 25, 2011

It is sunny and cool. The animals are fine. There were no hawks today. The chickens are happy and the turkey is strutting. I can't get completely warm so it must be allergies. I have lots to do, but I am at the computer, typing away. The sun is magnificent. Papaw has been busy: reading the news paper, driving to the post office, and burning trash. It will be below freezing tonight. Hope all is well with all of you.

Thursday, January 20, 2011


It is windy and cold. The allergies are acting up because of the wind. Even though it is grey outside, I love all the changes in the weather. It makes life feel like an adventure. The chickens are happily pecking away at the ground and Mr. Gobbles has had his breakfast of mixed grain. He enjoys running with the chickens when they dash out their opened door. He roosts on the back of Mike's pickup or in a branch over the house at night. He adds joy to our lives. We are waiting for Papaw (Dad) to arrive home after his month's visit in California.
I have made banana bread for the occasion. Lots left to do!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 18,2010

I hope been at the hospital with Genny and John nsince Thursday. So far. the little one is still where he is supposed to be. Contractions start and stop off and on. We should know what we are doing by Monday, according to the doctor. Mike is holding down the fort at the ranch. I miss him and talk to him daily.

Monday, June 28, 2010

June 28, 2010

It is hot, hot, hot. We need some rain. The ground has cracks. The chickens are doing great. The chicken palace is nearing completion. Seven chicken snakes have been killed and another one has been spotted. It ate the eggs on the porch. We are raising a crop of the snakes. They are fast and aggressive.